Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Hawaii part Two


Paradise.
From the big volcano area we drove all around the Big Island. Tom wanted to see where the big triathlon takes place. So we did lots of driving, some more hiking THEN we arrived at our second location and I was in paradise. Even driving into Kona I knew I had landed in pay-dirt! The streets were lined with shops, bars, restaurants, and beach! Now this is what Hawaii is suppose to look like! Our hotel ended up being this big high rise, almost resort type thing. It had this wonderful patio area, covered, with a pool, bar, shops, and restaurant all looking out over this (rocky) beach. I spent a great deal of time sitting on this deck, reading and waiting for 4 p.m. for happy hour to begin. My drink of choice was the Hawaiian margarita, also known as a Mai Tai. I showed great restraint waiting for 4 o'clock before ordering one.
By the way, it is a trip to be in a swimming pool looking out at the ocean.
Tom and I started going our own way more here, which is more like we do at home. He went golfing and I read, shopped, slept and lounged in Paradise. I read 5 books on the trip total.
We went to a few flea markets, toured a coffee farm (saw how they grow, pick and roast the stuff) I forgot to tell you, on the volcano part of the island, we went to the macadamia nut place. Bought many yummys, and spent the next 4 days finishing them off. Once again, I was a trooper. Those chocolate covered, coconut macadamia nuts goodies were heavenly!
So we settled in to Kona. Would walk to the "town" to get our meals and to look around. Tom bought a pair of sandals. Our last morning there we shared Pineapple upside down pancakes with macadamia nuts. Can you smell happy?
Ok so paradise only lasted 4 days, then we were off to part three of the trip--Oahu.

No comments: